Transport to Brno
Brno is situated in Central Europe and is easily accessible by plane, train or bus.
There is a flight connection directly to Brno international airport from London Stansted, nevertheless it is quite convenient to fly to Prague or Vienna, and from there continue to Brno by train, bus or by mini-buses operated by Czech Airlines or Student Agency. If you travel by air to Vienna, you can then proceed to Brno by train or by bus from the coach station.
The main north-south railway line in Central Europe passes through Brno, which means that it is easily accessible by train from most points on the Continent. The journey from Prague by fast train takes three and half hours; EC trains shorten the journey to only 2 hours 45 minutes.
Vienna is closer than Prague, only 1 hour 40 minutes away.
Brno has direct coach links with many cities in Europe. These may not be available every day, but they are convenient, and ticket prices are very low.
Brno is situated at the meeting point of motorways D1 (Prague–Brno) and D2 (Brno–Bratislava). Both are part of the trans-European road system, which links France with Ukraine (E50) and Scandinavia with the Balkans (E65). Other major roads lead northeast to Poland and the Baltic states and south to Austria and Italy.
How to get to Brno from Prague or Vienna airport?
1. Either take the RegioJet (Student Agency) bus from Vienna airport (called Schwechat) or from Prague airport (called Vaclav Havel airport) to Brno (bus station called Grand). The bus from Vienna is direct, but if you are going by bus from Prague, you will have to change your bus at the main bus station Florenc in Prague, but one ticket is valid for the whole journey by both buses. There is a ticket office RegioJet (Student Agency) at Terminal 1 in Prague, in Vienna there is no ticket office. In any case, you can buy your ticket in advance and pay by credit card, it is really easy:
- Go to: http://jizdenky.studentagency.cz/Booking
- In the place “From” choose: Prague, Vaclav Havel Airport, in the place “To” choose: Brno bus station Grand.
- Change the suitable date, time and seat number.
- Continue with the payment.
- After doing all of this, you will be able to print out your electronic bus ticket; you will also receive a confirmation e-mail.
2. There are also other transport companies that operate buses from Prague or Vienna to Brno (for example Tourbus, Eurolines), but they usually do not leave directly from the airports, and arrive at another bus station in Brno (called Zvonařka).
3. Or take a train from Prague hl. n. to Brno hl. n. or from Vienna Meidling to Brno hl. n. (hl. n. = hlavní nádraží = main railway station).
In this case, you need to take first the city shuttle bus to get from the airport to the centre and then take the underground (metro) to get to the train station (ask at the info desk at the airport for details).
You can check the train schedule online at http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/, and insert the data needed as follows:
In the field “From”: write either “Praha hl. n.”, or “Wien Meidling”, in the place “To”: write “Brno hl.n.”
Change the date and time according to your arrival in Prague (please do not forget to count at least 2 hours extra time to get to the train station from the airport, it does not take that long but since you do not know the way, you must count some extra time to find it and time to buy the ticket at the train station to be on the safe side!)
Click on “Search” to view the list of all possible train connections.
Choose only a direct train to Brno so that you do not have to change trains somewhere. The journey from Prague to Brno will take around 3 hours, from Vienna to Brno about 2 hours.
Taxi service from the airport – offered by the agency Foreigners.cz
- Brno Airport <-> Brno City Center – 400 CZK
- Vienna Airport <-> Brno City Center – 3.000 CZK
- Bratislava <-> Brno City Center – 3.000 CZK
- Prague Airport <-> Brno City Center – 4.000 CZK
It is highly recommended to order a taxi at least one day before. Online ordering here.
For more information on ways from/to Brno, and from/to the airport – see the website of the South Moravian Integrated Public Transport System