Basic info about CEITEC PhD School
CEITEC – Central European Institute of Technology is an interdisciplinary research institute focused on life sciences, molecular medicine, and material sciences, comprised of six Brno universities and research institutes.
CEITEC is a centre with the main focus being research in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies. CEITEC was established in 2011 on the strong foundation of six prominent universities and research institutes, with long-lasting traditions located in Brno, Czech Republic. Since its short existence, CEITEC has managed to build up a cutting-edge research centre which performs among the best European institutes. CEITEC’s success can be attributed to its high-tech technologies, as well as to its adherence to international standards of quality in research, which is regularly evaluated by an international committee. Among the main priorities of CEITEC are to promote a motivating and dynamic international scientific environment, to provide state-of-the-art research infrastructure, and to ensure a policy of open communication and equal opportunities.
Why do your PhD at CEITEC?
- Excellent research
- Around 300 top-quality publications (in Nature, Science, Leukemia, Cell, PNAS, EMBO Journal etc.)
- Peer review evaluation
- The principles of CEITEC PhD School are based on the “Principle for Innovative Doctoral Training” (approved by the EU Council for Education)
- International grants (2 ERC grants, EMBO Installation Grants, ERA Chair)
- Unique research infrastructure
- First-rate equipment, with backup by supporting experts, and interdisciplinary open access
- The scholarship is at a level of the average salary in the Czech Republic and will allow you to live comfortably
- International opportunities
- CEITEC is a leading member of Alliance4Life, a member of the EU-LIFE consortium, strategic partnership with The Vienna Biocenter Core Facilities
- Wide career options
- Build connections via our international partnerships and events (47% of publications created within the international cooperation)
- Transferable skills courses, cooperation with industry
- Brno is a great place to live. Not too big and not too small, affordable, full of exciting opportunities and voted 6th best city for students’ life
- The Czech Republic is a member state of the EU and NATO
- International community with frequent informal events
PhD School in a nutshell:
The Life Sciences program is accredited by the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University.
The specialization Molecular Medicine is a part of PhD study program Biomedical Sciences, accredited at the Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University.
The number of applicants for the CEITEC PhD School is increasing yearly and exceeded the number of 550 in 2020. Each year, an average of 15 up to 20 new students are accepted after careful selection from this large multi-national group of young talented scientists.
PhD study consists of:
- Research of your chosen topic
- Core subjects of your chosen field
- Hard skills
- Soft skills (how to publish, attract funding…)
- Teaching assistance
- Based on an individual study plan
- Mentored by a team of experts: Supervisor, Thesis Advisory Committee, Ombudsperson
- International and interdisciplinary environment
- Wide range of topics from experiences supervisors
We are looking for candidates with:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) to be obtained before start of study
- Similar field of previous studies
- Motivation to do high-quality science
- Outstanding academic results
- Communicative English
See CEITEC equipment and core facilities: