Fields of study
''Life for Science. Science for Life.''
CEITEC PhD School
offers the following programmes:
Life Sciences program
The program is highly multidisciplinary and, compared to the traditional study of biology, is more methodologically and analytically focused. Thanks to access to state-of-the-art infrastructure, students can better combine various biochemical, bioanalytical, and visualization instrumental techniques with solving biological problems, which increases the impact of their scientific activities and their flexibility in the labor market, including positions in academia, e.g. within existing biotechnology companies or in newly emerging spin-offs.
- Focused methodologically and analytically on the fields of bioanalytical instrumentation, cytogenomics, functional genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, development, and production biology (i.e. the omics approaches).
Interdisciplinary and methodologically-focused field studying the structure and function of biologically active macromolecules – proteins, nucleic acids, and their functional complexes.
Biomedical Sciences program:
- Field methodically focused on the application of basic knowledge of molecular medicine to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of various human diseases, using state-of-the-art biomedical technologies.
- The studies are designed to emphasise the expansion of the expertise of future graduates in social-management, technological, and widely-applicable abilities, which will allow them to conduct their successive research activities in an effective and modern manner, and it will provide them with an exceptional overview of the ethical and moral aspects of research, which are of utmost importance in the context of conducting research in the field of Biomedicine and general Research and Development. The graduates will be able to obtain job positions as research professionals capable of succeeding in the international competition.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- independently and creatively plan and implement scientific and research activities and master methodologies and models in the field of life sciences and molecular medicine
- write and prepare for publication a critical scientific text in the form of professional articles in the abovementioned scientific fields
- present and defend the results of their own research at an international scientific forum
- understand and be able to use wider professional and theoretical knowledge in the above-mentioned scientific fields
- know about and critically evaluate the latest knowledge and scientific development, not only in the abovementioned field but in general in the field of scientific research activities
- understand and manage fluent professional communication in English
- use the experience gained from international cooperation
- pass on knowledge and experience through their pedagogical experience
- make use of the soft skills gained during the study, see the soft-skills courses offered and other workshops planned within individual professional development
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
In the doctoral programme, great emphasis is placed on internationalization, there are also conditions for interdisciplinary solutions to the assigned topics of the dissertation, and the emphasis is placed on strengthening sociomanagerial and soft-skills. This increases the real chances of graduates to apply in top scientific and technological, academic and commercial teams around the world, such as in:
research organizations and academic institutions (research institutes, universities) focusing on biological and biomedical research and education, in the first years as the postdoctoral trainees and subsequently as the leaders of a research team or programme, the heads of shared laboratories (so-called facilities), etc., or at lecturer positions;
For Advanced Materials and Nanosciences program, visit our website amn-phd.ceitec.cz